Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Review-- If the Savior Stood Beside Me

So the kids are losing the words to "It the Savior Stood Beside Me," and with as many verbs are in the song, who can blame them?
Would I THINK of his commandments and TRY harder to be true?
Would I FOLLOW his example? Would I live more RIGHTEOUSLY? (okay, that's an adverb)

Verse 2 hard part:
Would my words be TRUE and KIND if he were never far away? (Yeah, I know. These are pronouns.)
Would I try to SHARE the gospel? Would I speak more REVERENTLY?

I narrowed it down a bit and decided to make scratch off surprises for the key words.
Directions below, idea came from here, though.
Materials:

Clear Contact paper
Acrylic paint
Regular dish soap
A disposable bowl to mix, scissors, a spoon, sturdy paper, a pencil

1) Make your papers to scratch off by writing the lyrics, leaving space for "think," follow," etc. to be covered.
2) Cut out an oval shape that will fit over each hidden word.
3) On the paper side of clear contact paper, trace the 6 ovals (approximate is fine)
4) To make the scratch off paint, combine 2 parts acrylic paint and 1 part dish soap. You will need 3-4 layers of it. Paint it on the plastic side of the clear contact paper.
5) After the layers are all dry, cut them out (using your tracing on the back) and hide your lyrics with them.

When running this I put them with the corresponding picture hints and explained what we were trying to find. Then I had them sing the first verse and try to remember what words filled in the blanks (this part worked well. I did motions for think and follow to get the kids connecting the dots).
Then I asked who thought they knew what went in the first blank. After the guess, I let them scratch it off and see how it went.

Pros: This was fun. I was a bit nervous that the kids would be so excited about scratching with coins that they wouldn't know the words, but each kid I asked had paid attention and knew what was under that paint.

Cons: I actually tweaked the ratio of paint to dish soap. Don't do that. It made it hard to scratch off.

We only got through the first verse last time. I think I'm going to redo the scratchers on some more first verse cards and see if the kids remembered (quickly) before moving onto the second verse.




No comments:

Post a Comment